Flying can be painful, what with tiny seats, little legroom, unpleasant noises, and freezing air-conditioning. But you can ward off tortuous travel with a few handy products designed to make your in-the-air experience just a little bit more comfortable. So long, miserable flights; hello, creature comforts!
- Bose QuietComfort® Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones Noise-blocking headphones are de rigueur on any flight, but over-the-ear models can be bulky, heavy, and uncomfortable for sleep. However, Bose’s luxe in-ear headphones provide lifelike digital sound that masks the roar of jet engines and noisy passengers alike. ($299.95, Amazon.com)
- Evian Natural Mineral Water Facial Spray Airplane-cabin air can be dry, which can parch your skin and leave you feeling grimy and fatigued. Refresh your face in-flight with Evian’s mineral facial spray, which rehydrates and rebalances skin and helps fix makeup. ($7.00 for 1.7 oz, Amazon.com)
- S.W. Basics Vegan Lip Balm Made from vegan-friendly fair-trade Candelilla wax, these super-flavorful lip balms conquer thirsty lips with an assortment of essential oils (citrus, cinnamon, or peppermint). Unlike other lip balms, they leave behind no chemical residues that can dry out sensitive skin. (From $4, Amazon.com.com)
- Magellan’s Good Night Sleep Mask This colorful superhero-esque sleep mask is a must for flyers who want to block out light. Specially molded to allow for rapid eye movement, the lightweight mask is absurdly comfortable—and Gwyneth Paltrow-approved. ($11, Magellans.com)
- Psi Bands Consider us recent converts to the world of Psi Bands. These drug-free wrist bands battle nausea related to motion sickness; simply wear one on each wrist, one of the human body’s main acupressure points, and adjust to fit. (We hear they work for morning sickness, too.) ($15.49, Amazon.com)
- Therm-a-Rest Compressible Travel Pillow If you don’t want a nerdy neck pillow (or, heaven forbid, the colossal, cumbersome SkyRest), we recommend Therm-a-Rest’s sleek model. It compresses to one-fifth its size, so it’s convenient for limited carry-on bag space but still completely comfortable for in-flight slumber. (From $19.95, Amazon.com)
- Unisom SleepGels When earplugs and sleep masks won’t do, Unisom will. This over-the-counter sleep aid blocks the effects of histamine, a naturally occurring neurotransmitter that regulates sleep and can keep you up on long flights that disrupt your normal sleep schedule. (From $7.76, Amazon.com)
- Indigenous Airplane Wrap An airplane’s notorious chill is second only to movie theaters and the Arctic tundra. Beat the cold with this colorful, oversized wrap. Made of super-soft organic lightweight cotton, this shawl is highly portable and conscientiously stylish. ($90, Indigenous.com)
- EarPlanes Made of soft silicone rubber, these disposable earplugs are ergonomically designed to relieve ear pain during takeoff and descent. CeramX filters inside each earplug regulate air pressure, which drastically reduces ear discomfort and that annoying popping sensation. ($11.85 for two pairs, Amazon.com)
- Magellan’s Travel Slippers On your next flight, want to kick back and relax, shoeless and fancy-free? We do, too, but there’s no way we’d make a bathroom trip barefoot. Try these travel slippers on for size; lightweight and made of stretchy neoprene, the easy-on, easy-off slippers will keep your feet clean but comfy inside the plane. ($19.98, Magellans.com)
More From Smartertravel:
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Peru: 6-Night Lima & Cusco Tour,...
All-Incl. Upstate New York Family Ranch...
Ecuador: 4-Night Quito & Galapagos Cruise...