Date of Trip: June 2008
10 Unique Things To See And Do In Catalina Island
avalon catalina islandJust 26 miles off the California coast is the quaint Mediterranean-looking island of Catalina. The main city is Avalon, roughly one-square-mile offering memorable activities for every member of the family. Here are ten good reasons to visit Catalina:
1. Where else in the world can you climb aboard a 1924 solid wood boat and see fish fly next to the boat or sometime into it? The evening Flying Fish tour offers visitors a glance of the island many never see. Hear seals bark, as 40 million candlepower searchlights lure fish to jump out, spread their wings, and fly.
2. Take a submarine ride to see the island’s underwater life. Come face-to-face with bright orange garibaldi, spotted calico bass, urchins, rockfish and bat rays by cruising five feet beneath the surface. Tickets are available on the long green pier.
3. Try a buffalo burger at the Busy Bee Cafe overlooking the boats moored in Avalon harbor, or walk out to Pebbly Beach and dine at the Buffalo Nickel restaurant.
4. See the island on horseback. Ride on trails where Native Americans and pirates traveled hundreds of years ago. The Catalina Stables rents horses for half-hour, one-hour, or two hour rides [Located at 600 Avalon Canyon Road – (310) 510-0478].
5. Play 9 holes of golf at the Country Club. Keep an eye out for buffalo and wild boar [Located at 1 Country Club Drive – (310) 510-0530]. For families, there is miniature golf at the Golf Gardens [Next to the Island Bus Plaza – (310) 510- 1200].
catalina island museum sign6. Museum buffs will enjoy the Catalina Island Museum to discover more than 7,000 years of history presented in visually exciting exhibits [Located on the ground floor of the Catalina Casino]. Take a tour of the world-famous Casino ballroom or catch an evening movie inside this 1929 architectural masterpiece.
7. See the island at your leisure by renting a gas powered golf cart or bicycle. Cruise up to the old Wrigley Mansion, built by the chewing gum magnate. It’s now Mt. Ada, a bed and breakfast and one of the best view spots on the island. Car and bike rentals can be rented on the corner of Metropole and Crescent.
8. Rent a boat or kayak and see the island by sea. Joe’s Rent A Boat has motorboats of various sizes, kayaks, pedal boats and paddleboards [Located on the green Pleasure Pier and open daily from April to October – (310) 510-0455].
9. Tour the inland of the island by following the 1800’s stagecoach route for a 31-mile journey along the windward shoreline to El Rancho Escondido, Wrigley’s Arabian horse ranch. Look for buffalo, visit the Catalina Island Fox Habitat, unique Airport-In-The-Sky runway, and the Conservancy Nature Center. Tickets for the Inland Tour are available at Discovery Tours.
catalina island path10. Summer Beach Bingo begins at 6 p.m. each Tuesday and Thursday, from June to Sept., at the South Beach lifeguard stand. Visitors can bring beach chairs and a picnic dinner and buy a card for $1 to win great prizes. The proceeds go to the Avalon Emergency Relief Fund. Picturesque Avalon offers family recreational excitement, tranquil beauty and images of the historical past.
For more information on Catalina Island go to www.VisitCatalinaIsland.com
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Globus Tours to Greece, Ireland, France...
Avoya Travelvacation $499+
The Caribbean: Luxe, All-Inclusive Sandals Resorts...
Avoya Travelhotel $489+
Azamara Cruises Around the World w/Free...
Avoya Travelcruise $629+