Hard on the heels of its latest PointBreaks discounts for award bookings, InterContinental Hotels Group today launched its limited-time Sunshine Sale.
Through Friday, April 28, InterContinental Hotels Group is offering travelers three ways to spend less or get more:
- A 15-30% discount on Best Flexible Rate stays of three or more nights at participating hotels in the U.S., Canada, and Latin America (excluding Brazil) through August 31
- 50% more points when booking Bonus Points Packages for stays between April 24 and May 31
- A 20% discount on the cash portion of Points & Cash bookings for stays between April 24 and May 31
Deal or No Deal
There’s the possibility of significantly improving the value proposition of some IHG stays, but there are also caveats.
The 15 to 30 percent discount is based on Best Flexible Rates, which are not the best available rates. And whereas Best Flexible Rates normally allow no-penalty cancellations, there’s a one-night-rate penalty for cancelling bookings made at the sale rates.
A 50 percent bonus on the points earned for Bonus Points Packages bookings obviously makes a good deal better. But was it a good deal to begin with? Maybe, maybe not.
And the same applies to the 20 percent discount on Points & Cash bookings. If it was a good deal before the discount, it will be even better after the discount. But Points & Cash bookings aren’t always the best use of either points or cash.
Bottom line: For any prospective stays, use the best available rate as the baseline for comparison with any of these limited-time deals.
More from SmarterTravel:
- Is Tipping Coming to Uber?
- Don’t Want to Fly United? Here’s How to Redeem Your Miles
- Will the Government Make Air Travel Great Again?
After 20 years working in the travel industry, and 15 years writing about it, Tim Winship knows a thing or two about travel. Follow him on Twitter @twinship.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.