We all recognize 9/11 in our own way. I try to make it as normal a day as possible while allowing space to reflect on what happened. 9/11 didn’t affect me in any personal way, but as a native of New Jersey with family working and living in and around New York City, the attack struck close to home, in both the literal and figurative sense.
For those who want to visit a memorial or participate in an event, there are numerous options. Eight years after the attack, America has had time both to process and memorialize. Here are a handful of places people can go to remember:
- The National September 11 Memorial & Museum: While completion of the memorial isn’t expected before 2011 and the museum a year beyond that, many will travel to Ground Zero to pay their respects. A new preview site opened in August, offering visitors a chance to view video and artifacts from 9/11, as well as learn about the progress of the memorial.
- The Pentagon Memorial: This memorial opened a year ago. Visitors can also take in the excellent 9/11 exhibit at the Newseum.
- Flight 93 National Memorial: The first portions of the memorial aren’t expected to be completed until 2011, but visitors can still walk the fields where Flight 93 was brought down. A memorial service will be held here on 9/11.
- Boston: Boston’s Logan Airport, from which both aircraft used in the World Trade Center attack departed, unveiled a memorial last year.
- Local Memorials: Voices Of September 11 has an interactive guide to memorials across the country.
Please use the comment field below to share any memorials that you find particularly poignant, or where you go to reflect on what happened on September 11.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Peru: 7-Night Lima, Puerto Maldonado &...
Wisconsin Dells Water Park Resort w/Meals,...
Athens to Rome: Luxe, 7-Night Mediterranean...
Regent Seven Seas Cruisescruise $9699+