The world is huge

Don't miss any of it

Travel news, itineraries, and inspiration delivered straight to your inbox.

By proceeding, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Tops of palm trees being blown by hurricane force winds
tuaindeed | Adobe Stock

‘Above Average’ Hurricane Season Predicted for 2022

Forecasters at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center are predicting an “above-average” hurricane season for the Atlantic this year. According to NOAA’s estimates, there is a 65 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 25 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season. 

The NOAA attributes this above-average risk level to “several climate factors”.

The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30, and during this time NOAA is forecasting “a likely range of 14 to 21 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 6 to 10 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 3 to 6 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher).”

Graphic from NOAA showing the hurricane outlook for the Atlantic in 2022

What Travelers Need to Know

There are certain areas where hurricanes and tropical storms are more likely to occur. The NOAA has a good map illustrating risk levels. If you’re concerned about weather impacting your trip, consider opting for one of the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao) where hurricanes rarely hit.  

If you’re traveling to a tropical storm-prone area from June through November, consider booking fully refundable flights and accommodations in case you need to change your plans due to the forecast. 

You may also want to purchase travel insurance for trips during hurricane season, which will cover your costs if you have to cancel your trip or leave early due to an impending storm. Travel insurance will also protect you if your destination becomes uninhabitable due to a hurricane that happens before your trip. 

Buy your insurance as soon as you book your trip—if you purchase it after the storm is named, the policy will not cover storm-related claims. 

You Might Also Like:

7 Summer Travel Tips From the TSA
New Data Shows Travelers Are In For An Expensive Summer
This New Google Maps Feature Could Be a Game-Changer for Travel
Record Demand for Passports Create Huge Wait Times
Delta’s International Flights Are Already 75 Percent Sold out for the Summer

We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.

Top Fares From