With fuel prices at historic lows and profits at historic highs, the airlines have come under increasing pressure from the public, regulators, and the media to lower their airfares. Albeit belatedly, it appears they’ve begun doing just that.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Transportation Statistics, which this week released its latest report, for the third quarter of 2015, average domestic ticket prices were down 6.2 percent year-over-year, to $372. Adjusted for inflation, that’s the lowest average fare since 2010.
RELATED: Unlimited Flying from $1,500 – Is It for You?
The fare changes varied considerably among airports, reflecting local competition and demand, with decreases ranging from modest to massive. Ticket prices at Chicago O’Hare airport, for example, were down a hefty 19 percent, while they decreased only 2 percent at New York’s JFK airport.
Fare changes at a sampling of other large U.S. airports:
- Dallas-Ft. Worth – down 15 percent
- Miami – down 14 percent
- Atlanta – down 13 percent
- Los Angeles – down 8 percent
- Dallas Love Field – down 8 percent
- Denver – down 4 percent
- Seattle – down 4 percent
- San Francisco – down 3 percent
Other highlights of the Bureau’s report:
- During the third quarter of 2015, only 75 percent of the airlines’ passenger revenue came from basic airfares. Most of the other 25 percent was generated from what the airlines call ancillary revenues, and what air travelers call nuisance fees.
- With fares averaging $339, the pricing sweet spot was at the medium-sized airports, with 4 – 5 million originating passengers during the period. Airfares averaged $380 at larger airports, with more than 5 million passengers, and $376 at airports with fewer than 1 million originating passengers.
- “Since 1995, inflation-adjusted fares declined 16.8 percent compared to a 55.3 percent increase in overall consumer prices.”
BTS will release its report for the fourth quarter of 2015 on April 26. Travel consumers will be waiting and watching. And hoping the trend continues.
Reader Reality Check
Airfares are down, yes. But are they a bargain?
More from SmarterTravel:
- Travel Groups Call for Fed Review of Airline Competition
- Congressman Introduces Bill to Halt the Coach-Class Seat Squeeze
- Flyers’ Surprising Reaction to Delta CEO’s Departure
After 20 years working in the travel industry, and 15 years writing about it, Tim Winship knows a thing or two about travel. Follow him on Twitter @twinship.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Globus Tours to Greece, Ireland, France...
Avoya Travelvacation $499+
The Caribbean: Luxe, All-Inclusive Sandals Resorts...
Avoya Travelhotel $489+
Azamara Cruises Around the World w/Free...
Avoya Travelcruise $629+