The 2018 Atlantic hurricane season begins on June 1 and lasts through November 30. Fortunately, this year is predicted to be better than last year’s, which saw an unusually high number of devastating hurricanes. (If you’re planning travel to an area hit during the 2017 season, make sure to read our Caribbean Travel Update).
Scientists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) forecast that this year’s hurricane season has a 40 percent chance of being near-normal, a 25 percent chance of below-normal, and 35 percent chance of an above-normal season. The forecasters predict: “A 70-percent likelihood of 10 to 16 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which five to nine could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including one to four major hurricanes (category three, four, or five; with winds of 111 mph or higher). An average hurricane season produces 12 named storms, of which six become hurricanes, including three major hurricanes.”
Traveling outside the Atlantic area? NOAA predicts an 80 percent chance of a near- or above-normal season for the eastern and central Pacific regions.
If you’re planning a vacation for an area that’s at risk for hurricanes, make sure you buy travel insurance and always read the fine print to be sure that you will be covered due to weather. You won’t be alone–according to travel insurance website Squaremouth, purchases of travel insurance with hurricane and weather-specific coverage increased 14 percent compared to last summer.
More from SmarterTravel:
- Travel Insurance Coverage: 13 Things Your Policy Won’t Cover
- Can You Get Your Checked Bags Faster? 5 Common Travel Insurance Questions, Answered
- The One Word That Could Negate Your Travel Insurance Coverage
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
All-Incl. Upstate New York Family Ranch...
Shop and Save with Country Inns...
Patricia MagañaHotel & Lodging Deals
$229 -- Chicago: Discounted Rates and...
Francesca MieleHotel & Lodging Deals $229+