Last week, Southwest published a preview of its extended flight schedule, including details of new and expanded service to a number of cities. Among the highlights:
New year-round flights from January 6, 2016
- Burbank-San Francisco (three roundtrips daily)
- Sacramento-Boise (one roundtrip daily)
- Indianapolis-Chicago Midway (two roundtrips daily)
- Little Rock-St. Louis (two roundtrips daily)
New seasonal routes
- Phoenix-Ft. Lauderdale (one roundtrip daily)
- Grand Rapids-Tampa Bay (one daily roundtrip)
- Fort Myers-Nashville (one roundtrip daily)
- Fort Myers-Buffalo (Saturday-only service)
- Fort Myers-Dallas Love (Saturday-only service)
- Fort Myers-Providence (Saturday-only service)
- Fort Myers-Washington National (Saturday-only service)
The new flights are now available to book for travel through March 8, 2016.
The expansion, which doesn’t appear to be offset by cuts elsewhere in Southwest’s winter flight plan, comes at a time when the DOJ has expressed concern that the Big Four airlines, including Southwest, were colluding to keep airfares high by limiting flights and seats.
Conspiracy theorists will surely infer a link between the two events. We’ll probably never know. Either way, the DOJ investigation has given the airlines cover to break with “capacity discipline,” and Southwest has seized the opportunity. If American, Delta, and United do as well, the airlines’ pricing power could erode, forcing airfares to decline.
That would be good news for travel consumers, whomever they have to thank.
Reader Reality Check
Whom should we thank if ticket prices come down?
You Might Also Like:
- What Is the Cheapest Day to Book a Flight?
- 9 Worst Airline Rip-Offs
- The World’s 10 Cleanest Airlines
This article originally appeared on FrequentFlier.com.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Colombia: Choose Your Length of Stay...
Indus Travelsvacation $505+
Wisconsin Dells Water Park Resort w/Meals,...
Rome to Istanbul: Luxe, 11-Night Mediterranean...
Oceania Cruisescruise $3999+