The esteemed Dr. Beach has released his annual list of America’s top ten beaches, and you’ll want to visit all of them this summer—doctors orders.
Dr. Beach is actually Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman, a professor at Florida International University, who does a yearly study evaluating beach quality in America. Dr. Leatherman uses fifty criteria to rank the beaches, with a high priority placed on water and sand quality. He also awards higher ratings to beaches that prohibit smoking.
Here are this year’s winners.
Best Beaches in American According to Dr. Beach
- Kapalua Bay Beach, Maui, Hawaii
- Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks, North Carolina
- Grayton Beach State Park, Florida panhandle
- Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
- Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outerbanks of North Carolina
- Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
- Hapuna Beach State Park, Big Island, Hawaii
- Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
- Beachwalker Park Kiawah Island, South Carolina
More from SmarterTravel:
- 15 Beach Bag Essentials You Need for Summer
- The Best Sun-Protective Clothing for Summer
- The Essential Beach Packing List
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
All-Incl. Upstate New York Family Ranch...
Shop and Save with Country Inns...
Patricia MagañaHotel & Lodging Deals
$229 -- Chicago: Discounted Rates and...
Francesca MieleHotel & Lodging Deals $229+