Ellora is home to one of India’s most famous cave temple sites. Travelers frequently come and go from this popular attraction, taking one of a variety of forms of transportation.
Transportation as a Means of Sightseeing
As far as transportation in Ellora is concerned, the quality of it is often based on what you are able to pay. However, cheaper means of mobility are not always “bad.” After all, you can take advantage of sightseeing opportunities that longer trips can provide.
Forms of transportation in Ellora
- The auto rickshaw – It takes you to a bus stop from a local hotel. The fare is less expensive than that of the shared jeep. However, this trip sometimes ironically does not take as long as the bus depending where you are going.
- A shared jeep – This form of transportation could be more economical if you have a group of people traveling with you. It, however, could sometimes take longer than the bus. It usually holds up to 22 people, which can be kind of fun if you want to meet new people.
- The shuttle bus – If you want a convenient short ride that makes its way to and from a nearby village, this form of travel is recommended. It often is crowded, but at least you have a cheaper way to move around town without having to pay too much for the trip.
- Rail – In the town of Aurangabad close to Ellora, you can take a train. This rail link also takes you to Mumbai (formerly Bombay). You can either take an overnight train or one of two daily express trains.
- Airplane – The trip from Mumbai to Ellora Caves takes as little time as 50 minutes. It might cost more to travel, but you can spend more time at your destination. The downside is you do not see as much when traveling by bus, train, or another means of transportation.
Editor’s note: The information contained on this page was compiled using real traveler reviews about Ellora transportation.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.