I was in the market for a running watch, but after researching smartwatches and wearables I thought the Fitbit Blaze might be an affordable, yet functional option. As someone who didn’t jump on the initial Fitbit bandwagon, I was excited to test out the Fitbit Blaze to see if it was something that I’d use in my travels. And after about a week of use, I can honestly say I’m hooked.
Fitbit Blaze Review:
Price and Where to Buy: The Fitbit Blaze starts on Amazon for $199, and is available on Fitbit’s website for $200. If you buy on Fitbit’s website, you get a 45-day back money guarantee and a one-year limited warranty.
How the Fitbit Blaze Rates:
- Usefulness: 10/10. If you’re already a Fitbit fan and don’t have the Blaze, I suggest upgrading for a better experience. The design and layout of the Blaze is intuitive and user-friendly, and it has newer Fitbit features like Cardio Fitness Level and Guided Breathing Sessions. While you still need your phone nearby for notifications, GPS-tracking, and music streaming, I found that my productivity and awareness have greatly increased by not checking my phone as much as I was before wearing the Blaze. For travel, the Blaze has great activity-tracking features for a variety of workouts, like treadmill and weight training. I love running with it because I can change my music or ignore a call just by touching my wrist. The Blaze has just enough features that you don’t need to use your phone constantly, but it’s not overwhelming (i.e. I’m not using it to replace my phone for things like calling an Uber). The battery can last days: It’s nice that you don’t have to worry about charging it every night.
- Value: 9/10. The Blaze will cost you around $200, which is even less expensive than some older versions of the Apple Watch. That’s on par with what you would spend on any other fitness tracker, and just $20 more than some of Fitbit’s simpler products—I think you get more bang for your buck with the Blaze.
- Portability: 9/10. I find the Blaze to be lightweight and easy to travel with. Note that for charging you’ll need to take the screen insert out of the band (a charger is included). You can also buy different styles of bands to mix up your look.
- Durability: 10/10. I was a little nervous that I could crack the screen by banging the watch against a door or desk by accident, but it’s held up well. Since it’s attached to your wrist, you aren’t at risk of dropping it, like you are with a phone. Plus, you can buy screen protectors for it on Amazon if you have an especially active lifestyle.
- Cool Factor: 10/10. Love ’em or hate ’em, smartwatches are becoming pretty cool. I’m happy I waited on a more advanced wearable tech gadget before trying it out, and I’ve been surprised with just how much I use the Blaze in my everyday life.
Final Verdict: If you’re looking to buy a smartphone watch but need a more budget-friendly option, the Fitbit Blaze is for you.
More from SmarterTravel:
- 8 Practical (and Cool) Watches for Travel
- 9 Wearable Travel Accessories That Will Make Your Trip Easier
- Lightweight Shoes Perfect for Packing
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at email@example.com.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Peru: 6-Night Lima & Cusco Tour,...
All-Incl. Upstate New York Family Ranch...
Ecuador: 4-Night Quito & Galapagos Cruise...