In this year’s 2015 Labor Day Travel Forecast, AAA reports a one-percent increase in travel over the holiday weekend over last year, which means 35.5 million travelers will be out looking to soak up the last few days of summer.
RELATED: Best Labor Day Getaways
What’s the big deal? Numbers-wise, this is the most travelers the report has predicted since 2008. The report credits income gains, rising household net worth, and a better housing market for giving Americans more disposable income with which to travel.
What Else You Need to Know
- 85.8 percent (30.4 million) of travelers will be traveling by car, while 7.4 percent (2.6 million) will fly.
- Gas prices are also expected to be the lowest in over 10 years, further increasing auto travel.
- Average airfares are down one percent (Thanks low gas prices!), while hotel rates are slightly higher compared to 2014.
- Check local travel warnings and traffic reports to optimize your road trip if traveling by car. Haven’t tried Waze yet? This might be a good opportunity.
- Most public transportation systems will run on a Sunday schedule on the holiday Monday.
- Download our list of 10 Best Apps for Road Trips.
- Consider traveling in off-peak hours if you have a flexible schedule in order to avoid traffic.
Have a safe and fun Labor Day weekend from SmarterTravel!
(Photo: Thinkstock/iStock) (Photo: AAA)
More from SmarterTravel:
- The Best One-Tank Road Trips for Summer
- 10 Items You Must Bring With You on a Serious Road Trip
- 7 Safety Tips for Road Trips
Ashley Rossi is always ready for her next trip. Follow her on Twitter @ashley_stravel for more advice about travel hacks and destination ideas.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.