As many as there are already, when it comes to rewards credit cards, it seems there’s always room for one more.
The latest, released this week, is the Hilton HHonors Reserve Visa Signature card issued by Citi. The “Reserve” distinguishes the new product from the old, less robust non-Reserve card, which remains available for no annual fee.
The new card’s particulars:
- Two free weekend nights after charging $2,500 within the first four months.
- Anniversary bonus of one weekend night certificate each year after $10,000 in annual spend.
- Automatic Gold elite status; upgraded to Diamond after $40,000 in annual spend.
- Ten HHonors bonus points for every $1 spent on Hilton stays; five bonus points for every $1 spent on airlines and car rentals; three bonus points for every $1 spent on other charges.
- SmartChip technology.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- Annual fee: $95.
If you’re a Hilton loyalist, the new Reserve card competes both with the no-fee Citi HHonors card and the two American Express-issued cards, the HHonors card (no annual fee) and the Surpass card ($75 annual fee).
Rather than the new card’s free weekend nights, the other three cards offer 40,000 bonus points after various spend thresholds. The free nights are arguably worth more.
For points earning, the Reserve card also outshines the other cards, awarding more points for Hilton stays, for airline tickets and car rentals, and for everyday spending.
And finally, automatic Gold status with the possibility of an upgrade to Diamond trumps the complimentary elite perks of the other cards as well.
The Reserve card is the clear standout in the universe of HHonors-linked cards, albeit at a higher annual cost.
This article originally appeared on FrequentFlier.com.
You Might Also Like:
- 10 Ways to Improve Your European Vacation
- Win a Trip for Two to Amsterdam
- Finally: Chip-and-PIN Cards Are Here
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Globus Tours to Greece, Ireland, France...
Avoya Travelvacation $499+
The Caribbean: Luxe, All-Inclusive Sandals Resorts...
Avoya Travelhotel $489+
Azamara Cruises Around the World w/Free...
Avoya Travelcruise $629+