Shopping in New York City Canal Street
There’s nothing like shopping in New York. And Canal Street offers cool bargains, quirky finds, and a festive atmosphere. Here are Canal Street shopping tips from other travelers.
Unbeatable Shopping in NYC’s Chinatown
If you come to New York City with bargain shopping in mind, the place to go is Chinatown. The best part of it is you can combine your visit to include practically everything; after you shop, there’s also plenty of nearby sightseeing and places to eat. For shopping, Canal Street is the focal point. This is where you’ll find inexpensive merchandise including:
- Clothing and shoes
- Knock-of,f name-brand ladies’ handbags
- Jewelry and watches
You’ll also find foodstuff and household miscellanies. Tip: the good stuff is not usually displayed – you have to ask for it.
Canal Street is All About the Experience
Canal Street is crowded and noisy, and not everything for sale is “authentic,” but you can get the best knock-offs at the best prices. And it’s just exciting to shop there. As you are walking down Canal Street, people will show you pictures. If you say yes, they will take you to their little, often hidden, showrooms and you pick what you like and then bargain. Haggling on Canal Street with the vendors is part of the fun. The best selections are on the weekends. Tip: Bring cash.
Other Hot Shopping Spots
There are plenty of beautiful shops all over the city. When you’ve exhausted Canal Street, shop along the side streets of Mulberry, Mott, and Elizabeth Streets. Other NYC shopping to explore:
- INA – A designer resale shop for both sexes. Not your standard secondhand shop. (Prada suits worn once for a fashion shoot or on the runway will cost $400, while the same suit new would cost $2,000 at the Prada store in SoHo).
- Ambercrombie & Fitch – Located on Water Street, this store has good quality casual gear.
- OMG Jeans – Find several huge branches along the strip of Broadway between Houston and Canal.
- Duty Free Apparel – On the corner of 35th and 7th Ave. you can get high-end brand name shoes and handbags
- Soho and Theatre District – This shopping area is pricey, but it has very cool stuff.
If it’s knock-offs you’re seeking, you’ll want avoid Times Square because it is too expensive there; you’re better off going to Chinatown instead.
Editor’s Note: The information contained on this page was compiled using real traveler reviews about shopping on New York City’s Canal Street.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
All-Incl. Upstate New York Family Ranch...
Shop and Save with Country Inns...
Patricia MagañaHotel & Lodging Deals
$229 -- Chicago: Discounted Rates and...
Francesca MieleHotel & Lodging Deals $229+