The Nikon COOLPIX A1000 isn’t much bigger or heavier than your phone, but the photos it takes are significantly better.
Nikon COOLPIX A1000 Review:
How the Nikon COOLPIX A1000 Rates:
- Usefulness: 10/10. The COOLPIX A1000 packs a powerful zoom into a small package. The retractable 35x zoom allows you to capture far away items without blur, as demonstrated in the two photos below, which were taken from the same spot. You can see how clearly the camera zooms in on the distant plane.
- Durability: 7/10. This camera performed well in cold environments, and didn’t get damaged being carried around in a backpack during tours. I’d still recommend that you use a case with this camera though to protect it.
- Portability: 10/10. This pocket-sized camera weighs 11.7 oz. and measures 2.9 inches by 4.5 inches. The COOLPIX A1000 won’t add too much extra weight and is great for hikes or long walking days. The rechargeable battery lasts for 250 shots, but I found that it lasted longer, and that the battery wasn’t even half depleted by the end of most days.
- Ease of Use: 9/10. The COOLPIX A1000 is a great camera for novices or anyone who wants to step up their photos from a smartphone. You can use this as a point-and-shoot or play around with the settings based on the lighting conditions, subject, etc. Download the Snapbridge app to your phone, and the camera will automatically send photos and videos to your photo library.
Final Verdict: Want better travel photos without having to carry around a heavy camera? Nikon’s COOLPIX A1000 is great photography in a small package.
More from SmarterTravel:
- Nikon COOLPIX P1000 Review: The Perfect Camera for Cruises
- 6 Small Cameras for Every Travel Photography Challenge
- 10 Instant-Print Cameras Recommended by a Travel Photographer
Caroline Morse Teel is always on the hunt for the newest and best travel gear. Follow her on Instagram @TravelWithCaroline.
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.