Whether you’re taking a cruise or chartering your own boat for a week, boat living requires some items that you wouldn’t need on any other vacation. You’ll be spending a lot of time not only onboard but also in the water, and will still need outfits for offshore activities and dinners (think multi-functional and quick-drying pieces). Here’s what to pack and where to buy it if you’re planning a boating vacation this summer.
Mouse over the photos below for detailed explanations of the items. Any time you see the Thinglink icon on a photo (bottom right), you can mouse over it to interact with the image.
Where to Buy:
Tops (from left to right)
- 2 active wear tops: Sunshine Salutation Tank, $58 from lululemon
- 1 dressy top: Striped Lace Top, $45 from Lands’ End
- 1-2x tank tops: Perfect-Fit Shell, $22.50 from J. Crew
- 1-2x basic t-shirts: Vintage Cotton T-Shirt, $29.50 from J. Crew
- 1 sweatshirt: Sexy Sweat Half Zip, $54.99 from lucy
- 1 UPF jacket: Vitamin Sea Jacket, $69 from Athleta
- 1 open cardigan: Open-Front Sweater, $29 from Old Navy
- 1 mid-length dress: Daily Mantra Dress, $89 from lucy
- 1 cotton dress: Short-Sleeve Cotton Shirtdress, $98 from J. Crew
- 1 casual striped dress: Striped Vacances Dress, $88 from Madewell
- 2 pairs active shorts: Surf Short II Reversible, $68 from lululemon
- 1 skirt: Seaside Fold Over Skirt, $39 from Athleta
- 1 pair of leggings: Align Crop, $88 from lululemon
- 1 pair linen shorts: Linen Market Shorts, $29.99 from Lands’ End
- 1 full piece bathing suit: Strappy Back Onepiece, $118 from lululemon
- 1-2x mix and match two-piece bathing suits: Palm Cove Bikini Top, $59 from Athleta; Streamline Bottom, $49 from Athleta
- 1 cover up: Ombre-Gauze Tassel Swim Cover-Up, $34 from Old Navy
- 1 pair of water shoes: Original Sandal, $37.50 from Teva
- 1 pair dressy flats: Splendid Cassandra sandal, $78 from Zappos
- 1 pair of white bottom slip on’s: Paul Sperry Swell Emmy Sneaker, $80 from Sperry
- Sea sickness relief: Sea-Band Wristbands, $7.79 from Amazon
- Quick dry hat: The North Face Breakaway Hat, $16.50 from EMS
- 2-3x books: Voyager: Travel Writings, $16.24 from Amazon
- Sport/polarized sunglasses: Drop in Polarized, $180 from Oakley
- 2x quick-dry towels: Large Towels, $44.99 from Dock & Bay
- Chemical free sunscreen: Honest Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50+, $13.95 from The Honest Company
- All purpose soap: Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castile Liquid Travel Soap, $1.79 from Target
- Clothespins: hegs Clothespins, $9.99 for 18 pack from Amazon
- Dry bag day pack: 15L Dry Bag, $99 from So iLL
Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product.
More from SmarterTravel:
- Cruise Packing: One Suitcase Fits All
- A Guide to Packing for Every Season
- Secret Pajamas for Overnight Flights
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Colombia: Choose Your Length of Stay...
Indus Travelsvacation $505+
Wisconsin Dells Water Park Resort w/Meals,...
Rome to Istanbul: Luxe, 11-Night Mediterranean...
Oceania Cruisescruise $3999+