What Is It: Blu Kicks, slip-on shoes for men and women.
Price and Where to Buy: $58 on the Blu Kicks’ website.
Pros: The first time I tested these, I walked two miles—and didn’t get a single blister! The Blu Kicks’ are comfortable from the get-go, with no breaking in required. They come with cushy, removable, textured insoles, which prevent your feet and legs from becoming fatigued like they can in normal flats. The shoes can get wet without damage, dry, fast, and are machine washable (and dry-able). The bottoms are non-slip and non-marking, so these can easily go from the boat deck, to the city streets, to the boardwalk. These shoes are so stylish—I got the Panama Stripe design, and received tons of compliments. Bonus: $1 from every pair of Blu Kicks sold goes to an ocean-protecting charity.
Cons: Update: When we ran this review in 2013, Blu Kicks had a different sizing system. They have since updated their sizing, and we find it to be true to size. Order your regular size with confidence! The sizing is confusing. They run a full size big, and possibly a little more, depending on your feet. I typically wear between a size 6.5 and 7 in shoes, but I was a 5 in Blu Kicks. Definitely order at least a full size down.
How It Rates:
- Usefulness: 10/10. These shoes can take you anywhere—they’re comfortable for lots of walking, but stylish enough that you can wear them out without fashion shame.
- Portability: 10/10. Very lightweight, and come with a nice light carrying bag.
- Value: 9/10. Inexpensive compared to other brands of boat shoes, plus, since the Blu Kicks can easily be washed, they’ll last a long time. They also come with an extra pair of removable insoles for added value.
- Durability: 10/10. Toss them in the washer and dryer, walk for miles, and get them wet—the Blu Kicks are durable.
- Cool Factor: 10/10. Especially if you go with the Panama Stripe style, these will garner lots of compliments.
Final Verdict: Blu Kicks are the self-proclaimed “Official Shoe of Playing Hookie,” but these non-slip, washable shoes are hard-working (even if you’re not). These are the perfect lightweight shoes for summer travel!
(Photo: Blu Kicks)
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews, or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at email@example.com.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.