What Is it: Clever Travel Companion Two-Pocket Tank
Price and Where to Buy: $29.90 on CleverTravelCompanion.com
Clever Travel Companion debuted a new two-pocket tank top (also available as a T-shirt). Whereas the original tank positions the single zippered pocket along the center of the body, right about where ribs meet abdomen, the new tank has two pockets positioned along the side of the body, a few inches below the underarms. The main benefit to the new design is that you can wear the tank top alone (rather than under a shirt or sweater), and no one will be able to see the outline of the objects you’ve squirreled away in your low-profile zippered hidey pockets.
- The 95 percent cotton material is incredibly soft, and the seams are comfortable.
- The top is long enough that it can be a under layer or a wear-alone tank.
- The pocket placement is comfortable: the pocket orientation uses the side of your ribcage as a surprisingly comfortable storage area. I tested it out with five cards and some cash in one pocket and a passport in the other and found that while I had an awareness they were there, it wasn’t irritating at all and didn’t impede natural movement.
- The pocket placement is discreet: There wasn’t more than a very minor change to the shape of the shirt when the pockets were holding credit cards, cash, or a passport. Surprisingly, a pocket could even hold a cell phone without drawing much attention to itself.
- If you’re a heavy sweater (not the wool kind), your items may end up damp. There are a few inches between your armpits and the pockets, but if you perspire enthusiastically, sweat may infiltrate the pockets.
- The zipper pull catches the light slightly, which if you’re wearing the tank top on its own, makes the pockets less hidden.
How it Rates:
- Usefulness: 9/10. The new design is great for protecting small high-value objects like passports, and liberates travelers from the constant necessity of a day bag or the vulnerability of open pockets.
- Value: 9/10. This comfortable tank top easily earns its keep by effectively replacing a money belt or small purse.
- Durability: 9/10. It’s well-made with strong seams and washes well, without losing color or shape.
- Cool Factor: 8/10. If cool is about understatement, then this tank has it down with its hidden pockets and flattering shape.
Final Verdict: This is an example of good idea getting better. The new tank top design offers more storage that’s lower profile, which is great for warm travel days when you still want to securely wear valuables. It’s also a great tank to have between trips; it’s as handy at the gym or on a bike ride as it is in foreign lands.
(Photo: Clever Travel Companion)
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews, or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Peru: 6-Night Lima & Cusco Tour,...
All-Incl. Upstate New York Family Ranch...
Ecuador: 4-Night Quito & Galapagos Cruise...