What Is It: The GORE-TEX Ara Pat shoe.
Pros: Putting the Ara Pat on feels like slipping into a good pair of slippers—the lined inside is extremely plush and cozy. The lack of laces means they’re a cinch to slide on and off, and the waterproof GORE-TEX keeps feet dry in wet weather. The Ara Pats also have removable insoles so you can customize the level of support you need.
Cons: The shoes are pretty low-cut, which means that in severe weather, water can come in from the tops of these “water-proof” shoes.
How it Rates:
- Usefulness: 7/10. If you’re going on a hiking trip, these probably are not the best shoes. But if you’re headed to an urban destination, these will come in handy in any type of weather. These would also be good for the airport security line, since you can slip them on and off faster than the TSA officer can yell at you.
- Portability: 4/10. Definitely wear these ones on the plane.
- Value: 8/10. Depends on where you buy them from, as prices for the same exact pair vary by $100 on the Internet.
- Durability: 10/10. The GORE-TEX and other materials in this well-made shoe seem designed to last for many miles.
- Cool Factor: 7/10. These shoes are pretty unobtrusive in the black (they also come in red and grey) but definitely won’t be mistaken for a fashionable pair of flats.
Final Verdict: If you’re in the market for a slip-on shoe, or waterproof ones, the Ara Pat are a solid choice.
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews, or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.