What Is It: The VaultPro Convertible Backpack, an anti-theft bag that converts from backpack to a shoulder purse or hand bag.
Price and Where to Buy: $78 from Magellan’s.
Pros: We loved being able to switch from using this bag as a backpack during the day to a shoulder bag at night when traveling. Just pull a zipper and the bag converts—you don’t even have to take anything out of it! The inside pocket expands to hold a ton of stuff—we fit a sweatshirt, souvenirs, and much more in there comfortably. The bag also has anti-theft features, like a cut-proof, steel cable-reinforced shoulder strap (which is surprisingly comfortable), slash-proof fabric, and a locking zipper. Plus, the many different compartments are great for organizing.
Cons: Only the main pocket has a locking zipper—the side and front pockets could easily be pick-pocketed in a crowd, so we didn’t put any valuables in those pockets. (But they were handy for storing non-valuables, like sunscreen and ChapStick), that we needed easy access to.
How it Rates:
- Usefulness: 10/10. It’s the perfect bag for city travel!
- Portability: 10/10. It’s small and lightweight enough that you can fold it down and pack in a carry-on, but it expands to hold a lot.
- Value: 7/10. The price tag is high at $78—even if you think of it as two bags for the price of one, $78 is pretty expensive.
- Durability: 10/10. Hey, it withstood Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras in New Orleans!
- Cool Factor: 6/10. Mini-backpacks remind me of something Cher would use in Clueless—very ’90s. I wouldn’t use it as a backpack in every day life, but I would use it as a shoulder bag. Also, the convertible factor is very cool!
Final Verdict: If you need a shoulder bag AND a backpack, this product is perfect. We recommend it if you travel in cities a lot and need a lot of space to store your stuff safely from pickpockets.
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews, or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.