Some of the links featured in this story are affiliate links, and SmarterTravel may collect a commission (at no cost to you) if you shop through them.
Short on vacation time but flexible on where you work? Take advantage of remote work policies and treat yourself to a workcation. Whether you extend a vacation to make the most of a flight ticket or just want to try out somewhere new, a workcation can be a much-needed change of scenery.
Icelandair analyzed cities around the United States to find the best destinations for a wellness workcation. The cities were evaluated on seven factors: Quality of life, internet speed, air pollution, climate index, cost of living, health care, and safety.
According to the study, Kansas City, Missouri is the best city in the US for a wellness workcation. The city scored high marks in the quality of life category and is also fairly affordable compared to other destinations. Cleveland, San Diego, Jacksonville, and Portland rounded out the top five.
Tips for Working Remotely on Vacation
Balancing work and vacation can be tough. If you spend all your time on your laptop, you might as well be working at home—but if you don’t do any work, you could jeopardize your job.
- Take (and maximize) your lunch hour. Use your lunch hour to try a local restaurant or go for a walk to explore your new neighborhood.
- Adjust your working hours if possible. Starting and finishing your day early could give you ample time to check out your destination.
- Pack appropriately. Bringing along a mouse or portable second screen can help you work as efficiently as you do at home, so you can quickly finish your tasks for the day and get outside.
- Work outside your hotel/vacation rental. Working from a local cafe or restaurant can be a great way to experience the vibe of a new city while still being available for your job.
- Confirm the WiFi situation before you book. Fast and free WiFi seems like it should be a guaranteed amenity, but some hotels and vacation rentals still don’t offer it. Double-check internet availability before making a reservation.
You Might Also Like:• 5 Bubbly and Beautiful Champagne Tours to Take
• Warm and Actually Stylish Travel Clothes for Winter
• How to Become a More Organized Traveler
• Check Into America’s Only Private Island Resort With Us
• SmarterTravel Spotlight: Southernmost Beach Resort
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Colombia: Choose Your Length of Stay...
Indus Travelsvacation $505+
Wisconsin Dells Water Park Resort w/Meals,...
Rome to Istanbul: Luxe, 11-Night Mediterranean...
Oceania Cruisescruise $3999+