Warnings and Dangers in Big Sur: Roads
The Big Sur Coast Highway hugs the California coast. It is a 123 mile stretch that offers great scenic views, but there are some precautions that need to be taken when driving in this area.
Highway 1 is a twisty, narrow, 2 lane road that has several areas with huge drop offs. If you have driven on a mountain road and been fearful, this may not be the best route to take. If you are planning to travel from southern California into the Monterey area and are afraid of heights you can take highway 101 instead.
If you decide to take highway 101 you are going to miss seeing the gorgeous coastline, but highway 101 offers some of its own beauty as well.
Even in great weather highway 1 is one of the most dangerous highways in the state even if the weather is good. When the weather is bad there are areas of the road that are often closed. If you are planning to travel in the area you should make sure that you call ahead for road hazards, rocks, and closures. The road located south of Nepenthe closes at least once per year.
Tips for Driving on Big Sur Roads
When driving on highway one there are several things that you can do to keep you as well as the other drivers on the road safe. These include:
- Drive defensively
- Make sure that you wear your seatbelts at all times, it is the law.
- Keep your eyes on the road at all times. It can be easy to become distracted by all the beautiful views, but you really need to pay attention to the road while you are driving.
- Obey the set speed limits, they are there for a reason.
- Do not pass if the center lines are solid yellow on your side of the road or if the lines are double yellow. You should not pass if the visibility ahead is impaired.
- If there is not a vehicle in front of you and there are at least five cars behind you, California state law requires you to pull over and let the other cars pass you. When you pull over you will need to avoid making a quick stop on any of the unpaved shoulders.
Driving on Highway one can be a great experience if you follow the above tips.
Editor’s note: The information contained on this page was compiled using real traveler reviews about warnings and dangers in Big Sur Roads.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Colombia: Choose Your Length of Stay...
Indus Travelsvacation $505+
Wisconsin Dells Water Park Resort w/Meals,...
Rome to Istanbul: Luxe, 11-Night Mediterranean...
Oceania Cruisescruise $3999+