Want unlimited data while traveling? The Skyroam Solis hot spot solves multiple problems that frequent international travelers encounter. Here are some of the highlights:
Skyroam Solis Review:
Price and Where to Buy: $150 on Amazon.
How the Skyroam Solis Rates:
- Usefulness: 10/10. The device avoids international roaming fees, which can be confusing and expensive. It provides a secure and safe connection, much better than shady free Wi-Fi networks. You can also avoid hotel Wi-Fi fees (which are more common in other continents) as you can connect up to five devices. It’s much more convenient than a SIM card (which have to be switched by country or continent) since it works in more than 120 countries.
- Value: 9/10. It’s expensive to purchase at first, but the $9 per day pass, once you bite the bullet of the initial up-front cost, is a steal. The price is completely worth it if you’re traveling with a group or family as you can split the costs of either the device or the day passes. To put it in perspective, I compared this to buying an international phone plan. For me to purchase a reasonable-usage international data plan with my phone company costs about $80USD, which is good for 30 days, but the data usage probably would only last me at maximum two weeks. If I take two international trips a year, I’d already have spent a minimum of $160
- Portability & Durability: 9/10. The Skyroam Solis comes with a handy hard case to protect it when traveling and it weighs about seven ounces, so you can carry it in a backpack or purse. The battery life also lasts about 16 hours.
- Cool Factor: 9/10. Not being overcharged for data usage while abroad is cool to me.
Final Verdict: For travelers who often take trips overseas and want to use your phone as you would at home, the Skyroam Solis is a smart purchase.
More from SmarterTravel:
- The Best International Phone Plans for Travelers
- 8 Innovative Phone Cases and Accessories for Travel
- Have an Old iPhone? Here’s the Airport Perk You’re Missing
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at email@example.com.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.