Where to go in 2018? For those on a budget (the 99%, in other words), Booking.com has a suggested destination for every month of the year.
To compile its list of value destinations, Booking.com considered the average rates for 3-, 4-, and 5-star hotels in popular destinations, and then looked for the best deals given the monthly rate fluctuations.
Here’s the calendar:
- January – San Diego (37% more affordable than high season)
- February – Las Vegas (43% more affordable than high season)
- March – Montreal (22% more affordable than high season)
- April – Toronto (27% more affordable than high season)
- May – Orlando (18% more affordable than high season)
- June – Miami (39% more affordable than high season)
- July – New York (25% more affordable than high season)
- August – New Orleans (45% more affordable than high season)
- September – Washington, D.C. (26% more affordable than high season)
- October – Los Angeles (14% more affordable than high season)
- November – San Francisco (31% more affordable than high season)
- December – Atlanta (24% more affordable than high season)
While the recommendations are based on hotel rates, airfares are also likely to be lower for travel to the listed destinations during the specified months, since both hotel and air prices rise and fall according to the same changes in travel demand.
More valuable than the specific suggestions, perhaps, is the underlying strategy for picking destinations where your travel dollar will go further: Be a contrarian. If it’s the dead of winter, most travelers will choose to travel to warm-weather destinations, and their travel expenses will spike accordingly. So do the opposite. Instead of Miami or Honolulu, book a trip to Dallas or Chicago or Minneapolis. Your wallet will thank you.
Reader Reality Check
What’s your strategy for choosing a good-value destination?
More from SmarterTravel:
- 2017 Was the Safest-Ever Year to Fly
- New Disney Policy Puts Security Over Privacy
- EU Court Calls Uber a Taxi Company. Will Rates Rise?
After 20 years working in the travel industry, and 15 years writing about it, Tim Winship knows a thing or two about travel. Follow him on Twitter @twinship.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Globus Tours to Greece, Ireland, France...
Avoya Travelvacation $499+
The Caribbean: Luxe, All-Inclusive Sandals Resorts...
Avoya Travelhotel $489+
Azamara Cruises Around the World w/Free...
Avoya Travelcruise $629+