How much should you expect to spend to visit each of the largest 100 U.S. cities?
Business Travel News has released its 2016 Corporate Travel Index, computing realistic per diem amounts for 100 U.S. cities, based on prevailing prices for hotel and rental-car rates and restaurant prices. (While leisure travelers can expect to spend less, by staying in budget-friendly hotels and eating frugally, the report’s travel costs are a good indicator of relative costs in the covered cities.)
The 10 most expensive cities, including the total per diem and a cost breakdown:
- San Francisco: $547.34 (hotel $370.78, car $56.01, food $120.55)
- New York: $523.05 (hotel $327.63, car $77.35, food $118.06)
- Boston: $502.69 (hotel $344.18, car $62.59, food $95.92)
- Seattle: $418.88 (hotel $253.22, car $49.40, food $116.25)
- Washington, D.C.: $411.10 (hotel $245.81, car $44.07, food $121.21)
- Santa Barbara: $409.32 (hotel $224.68, car $52.87, food $131.77)
- Honolulu: $403.92 (hotel $237.97, car $38.29, food $127.67)
- Los Angeles: $402.79 (hotel $245.46, car $46.22, food $111.11)
- San Jose: $398.28 (hotel $246.78, car $47.22, food $104.28)
- Hartford: $387.11 (hotel $218.02, car $48.92, food $120.17)
RELATED: Airline Quality Improves, Even as Complaints Rise
At the other end of the cost spectrum, Norfolk, Virginia, was the cheapest of the 100 ranked cities, with an estimated per diem of $248.15.
With the per-day costs at the top end of the list totaling more than twice those at the bottom end, there’s the potential for substantial savings by taking the contrarian road and spending your travel dollars in less-pricey cities. While they might lack some of the obvious appeal of San Francisco and New York, a fine time can be had in cities like Tucson, Albuquerque, and Corpus Christi.
The complete list (PDF file) is here.
Reader Reality Check
Do you have any favorite off-the-beaten-track cities that are visit-worthy and budget-friendly?
More from SmarterTravel:
- Alaska-Virgin America Merger Begets Sadness, Skepticism
- Southwest Partners with Rideshare Service
- Alaska Air’s Bad Day – Highlights and Lowlights
After 20 years working in the travel industry, and 15 years writing about it, Tim Winship knows a thing or two about travel. Follow him on Twitter @twinship.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
All-Incl. Upstate New York Family Ranch...
Shop and Save with Country Inns...
Patricia MagañaHotel & Lodging Deals
$229 -- Chicago: Discounted Rates and...
Francesca MieleHotel & Lodging Deals $229+