After a year without any revelers in attendance, Times Square NYE will be back to drop the ball to ring in 2022 with guests in attendance. That is, as long as they are vaccinated.
Some of the links featured in this story are affiliate links, and SmarterTravel may collect a commission (at no cost to you) if you shop through them.
Proof of Vaccination Required To Attend the Times Square Celebration
The following rules will apply to attend the New Year’s Eve Celebration at Times Square:
- Anyone over the age of five wishing to ring in the New Year will need proof of vaccination from one of the FDA or WHO approved vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, AstraZeneca/Oxford, Sinopharm or Sinovac).
- Guests must have had their second dose of a two-dose vaccine or received their first dose of a one-dose vaccine within 14 days of December 31, 2021.
- Unvaccinated children under the age of five must be accompanied by a fully vaccinated adult.
- Those unable to get vaccinated because of a disability must:
- Show proof of a negative COVID PCR test taken within seventy-two hours of the event; and
- Wear a face mask throughout the entirety of the event (unless the individual is medically unable to wear a mask).
Times Square NYE 2022 Details
- Schedule of events to be released here in December 2021.
- Events are expected to start around 6pm on December 31, 2021.
- At exactly 11:59pm EST, the ball will begin to be lowered.
- For anyone not vaccinated or wishing to watch the events from the comfort of their homes, they can tune in at TimesSquareNYC.org.
Where to Stay for NYE in Times Square
There are loads of great hotels in Times Square, as well as within walking distance. Some of our favorites are:
Hotels where you can observe the ball drop:
- Margaritaville Resort Times Square – new beach themed hotel in Times Square.
- M Social New York – Another new hotel offering spectacular views of the city and Times Square.
- New York Marriott Marquis – Hotel in the heart of Times Square with many rooms offering direct views of the ball drop.
- The Knickerbocker Hotel – Here, you can view the festivities from their famous rooftop bar, they have many NYE packages to choose from- including staying at the hotel, or simply tickets to the NYE party.
Other New York City Hotels:
- Arlo Midtown – short walk to Times Square.
- The Whitby Hotel – Further uptown from Times Square, but easily walkable.
- Library Hotel – This is a great choice for a unique experience within walking distance of the festivities.
- Hotel Beacon – If you are looking for something away from the hustle and bustle of Times Square, and don’t mind figuring out how to get there, Hotel Beacon is a great choice, located on the Upper West Side.
- The Bowery Hotel – Further downtown is the Bowery Hotel, which is all about atmosphere.
You Might Also Like:• 9 Affordable Travel Gift Ideas for Under $25
• 7 Terrible Travel Presents, and What to Give Instead
• The 5 Creepiest Holiday Traditions in Europe
• The Best Black Friday and Cyber Monday Travel Deals
• 10 Holiday Travel Tips You Need to Know
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Peru: 6-Night Lima & Cusco Tour,...
The Caribbean: Luxe, All-Inclusive Sandals Resorts...
Avoya Travelhotel $489+
Ecuador: 4-Night Quito & Galapagos Cruise...