Working or volunteering overseas is a rewarding way to spend your summer vacation. But how do you snag such an appealing gig?
- Set aside a few hours and browse all that Transitions Abroad has to offer. Every question you could possibly imagine is answered here, with sections devoted to “International Jobs,” “Internships Abroad,” “Short-Term Work,” “Volunteer Work Abroad,” and more.
- Cross-Cultural Solutions has programs in 12 different countries, and volunteers can choose to get involved for up to 12 weeks. Brazil, India, and Thailand are just three of the possible options. Volunteer work includes teaching English, assisting the elderly, and helping with local medical efforts.
- The Federation EIL has volunteer opportunities in 16 countries, au pair homestays, and educational programs (if you want to bulk up on extra credit over your summer break).
- While you may have to do a bit of digging, Idealist can be a great resource for tracking down volunteer and work listings abroad. At press time, more than 12,000 volunteer jobs were posted.
- StudentUniverse is a one-stop shop to search possibilities for volunteering abroad, and for internships as well.
Before committing to any program, be sure to read the fine print. Are there any fees? Are room, board, and travel expenses covered? Will you need medical insurance? Covering all the bases in your research will spare you headaches later, and ensure you find the right program for your summer abroad.
Have a great travel tip you’d like to share? Send your insider travel strategies to firstname.lastname@example.org.